Cathy at Rambling In The Garden has been inspiring people to fill a vase each Monday for the last four years and, to celebrate this milestone, the 4th anniversary mission was for particpants to use a ‘container’ not usually associated with displaying flowers. I am so looking forward to seeing all the wacky ideas that others have had for today’s IAVOM!
Most years when I clear away the old flowering stems of cephalaria gigantea I save sections of the wider stems to make new tubes for the bug hotel, because they are conveniently sturdy, hollow and narrow. When I cut them to length I’ve noticed that there is an internal membrane sealing the tube at each leaf axil (like bamboo) and so if you cut the stem just below a set of leaves you essentially get a test tube. The length of this tube obviously depends on where the next set of leaves are, but is typically ~30cm. Clumped together the stems look interesting, a bit like basalt columns (she says dreamily): lots of individual cells for the flowers to be poked into. So that is what I decided to use today.
Great plan, until I tried pouring water in the top of the tubes and saw it dribble steadily out of the bottom, through the porous membrane and lenticels in the stem at the leaf axil. Undeterred, I considered using only dried materials, but where is the fun in that when there are still a few flowers around outside.
Hence, my arrangement is very temporary, probably here for a few hours only, or I might pop it in a large glass of water after the photos. Enjoy!
Cobaea scandens, Tagetes Golden Gem, Cotoneaster, Golden Feverfew, Fuchsia magellanica, Miscanthus sinensis, Pennisetum thunbergii, Nigella damascena
and cephalaria gigantea stems, raffia and twine
Don’t forget to link across to Cathy’s to see the rest of the ideas.